Saturday 1 January 2011

Brake Van

While I was re-watching the Wenfordbridge DVD, looking for more information on the Dunmere buffer stop, I saw a running number of a LNER 'Toad E' brake van. The footage looks to be from the late 1950s of a regular goods train, being hauled by 30585 a Beattie Well Tank, running to Wenfordbridge. Apparently an LNER brake van was regularly used on the Wenfordbridge goods turns. For anyone who is interested the running number is E153583, the body has narrow vertical planking with a pressed steel ducket and it is sporting the grey livery. The Bachmann model (33-803 - 20 ton brake van BR grey unfitted) looks to be a good starting point for a model of this brake van......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toad Es E162261 and E178583 also used on Wenford. Large listing of freight vehicles on clay lines including variations to diag.1/051, in files section of yahoo group on "china_clay_branchlines". Lists more Wenford vehicles. Re: use of Queen Mary, doubt whether it would have cleared the Wenford prohibition bar.

Anonymous said...

Seen photo of 16t.mineral wagon B82431 at Wenford Bridge. It is diag.1/108 and in early BR grey - lighter than that seen on the ex-LNER Toads.

Anonymous said...

Regarding my earlier comment on the Queen Marys. Yes, you are right as the maximum dimensions permitted for a bogie brake are those of the 1936 newbuilds (can be 2ins.longer over buffers!) but the 1933 converts do exceed so they would be prohibited.

Anonymous said...

Yan, I am changing the subject to china clay wagons. Firstly Cambridge Custom Transfers have just released sheet BL102 in several scales for 40 BR W-series ex-GWR O13 claytips. They already do BL84 for the diag.1/051 clays. However, from BR Wagon Research I learned that some PO claytips were taken over by BR in their P-series. Seems precise data unavailable. Have you come across photos of any BR P-series claytips, please? I need a No. for the Slater's 4mm. kit 4055 of the Gloucester built wagon!!! Regards, Colin Withey.

Ian said...

Colin

Many thanks for all your comments. I've joined the yahoo group and hope to contact you via either the forum or PM.

I've not picked out any BR P-series claytips but then I was under the assumption that these would have been retired quite early on. Now I know different I see what I can find.