I'd been hoping to get all major construction work on the baseboards finished before the cooler evenings set in but I seem to be gradually running out of time. That said the lighting pelmet is coming together quite nicely.
When I started building Tredethy Wharf I had no real intention of exhibiting
the layout, it was only intended as a test track, however I have been persuaded. As it will be making its first outing in May next year, thought has been focused as to how it would be best to present it. Having constructed the
scenic baseboards without ends to hide the off stage sidings I've added these to the fiddle yard baseboards. This gave me the idea that if these
were strong enough I could use these end pieces to support a lighting
pelmet, rather then hang the pelmet off L shaped supports from the back of the layout.
The pelmet has been constructed in two halves to follow the curve of the
baseboard front. They are both longer then
each scenic board so that they can be bolted to the end supports on the fiddle yard baseboards.
At the moment it is only clamped to the fiddle yard ends with no joint/connection in the middle. I'm surprised that there is no sag in the centre which might mean I could use a couple of Toggle Catches to hold the two halves together at the join.
I not sure if my construction techniques are up to much but so far I'm pleased with the result.