Sunday 2 December 2012

Creating the earth

After applying a mixture of Artex and sand over the Mod-Roc, then sploshing a thin coat of raw umber over the covering the layout looks a little like a badly iced cake.


I'm hoping that the rough surface will give some extra lift to the static grass helping to represent tufts and undulations that can be seen in fields.


After applying the first coating of grass, I'm not sure the result is what I'm after. I think I might have over-done the rough suface. I'll stick with the idea for now, apply a few different textures and colours of grass to bring the ground alive a little. If it's not what I'm after it can be changed...


6 comments:

Bob said...

Yes, I can see what you mean about the rough surface on photo 1 but the first grass application in 2 has given a definite feel of a moorland as distinct from,say,a rough pasture.

James H said...

Yes, with a combination of ground foam and static fibres I think it will look very good indeed. Key is to vary the colour and lengths of the fibre to give realistic variation - look at a few photos beforehand and try to mimick them :)

Chris Nevard Model Railways & Photography said...

Building up the layers is the way to go using 6mm grasses, using softer more beige colours for the upper layers. I like to use a base of hanging basket liner first.

Good luck, looks great!

Ian said...

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys. All suggestions greatfully received. I'll try and have a look at hanging basket liners.

I've since found a few photos that show glimpses of fields along the line and it would seem I've over cooked the roughness. A little sanding down will be needed before applying the next stages of ground cover.

Onwards and upwards...

morocco tours said...

nice blog

lnrmodels said...

Keep going. It looks good to me!