I've been lucky in being lent a jig for bending rail by Clive from the local Area Group. So with Clive's rail bending jig to hand, I set about bending lengths of rail to different angles to try and acheive the correct profile.
|Think I've got the correcte angles?|
Once I'd formed a bend that looked correct I soldered four rails together. Then after annealing the rail I made my first attempt to create the four 'S bent' rails in one go so that they would all be the same. In the first attempt I failed at getting the second 'return' bend the correct distance from the first, but lesson learned and the second attempt with fresh rails worked out just about right. The only problem was one rail did not follow the same profile as the other three. Looking at the one at Boscarne there does seem to be a little deformity in some of the rails forming the buffer stop. So I took the view that a little difference in the rail profiles could be put down to 'wear and tear'.
|All rails bent ready to construct the buffer stop|
Next, using another jig made by Clive, I create the joggle for the two uprights. This was quickly followed by creating a vertical right angled bend in the two running rails. I've resorted to using nickel silver rail for the running rail as all my attempts at bending steel rail through 90 degrees, annealed or not, ended up with broken or twisted rail. Nickel Silver rail seems to be a little more pliable.
The buffer stop at Dunmere and those at Wenfordbridge all had wooden buffer beams so I've created one from 2mm ply, but I'm not sure if this is the correct thickness. I might add a thicker buffer beam later. I've got to admit that this has not been a very scientific approach. I didn't take any measurements of the buffer stop at Boscarne so I've cribbed approximate dimensions off a Mike's Models GW/LSWR buffer stop. For other dimensions I've applied the rule of thumb. Not very P4 I know, but I'm hoping that as long as it looks right it will be OK
|Buffer stop installed on layout|
There are a few cosmetic bits to apply, such as the bolt heads on the running and buffer rails, before painting/weathering. I'll then set about bedding it in with ballast, hardstanding, other ground cover, grass and weeds. Time will tell, but it might soon start to look the part...