Tuesday 1 October 2013

Model Rail Live 2013

Just playing catch up...rolling back time by about 10 days.

Winterschalf Bob suggested we went to this show but I was not sure what to expect. At first I was not overly bothered about going as it was the week before Scaleforum. Once I'd seen that Albion Yard, Diesels in the Duchy, and Chris Nevard's Polbrook Gurney Colliery were there and it was only down the road at Newark, I thought I might as well tag along. I've been following these three layouts via blogs and RMweb postings for some time but not seen any of them in the flesh.

Of the three layouts Polbrook Gurney Colliery was the first of the three to be seen. 'Beautiful' is all I can say. Didn't see much running but then it was well presented with an excellent tone of colour and, for such a small model, plenty to take in just standing and looking.


Polbrock Gurney Colliery

Polbrock Gurney Colliery

Polbrock Gurney Colliery

Polbrock Gurney Colliery

Polbrock Gurney Colliery

Second of the three to be seen was Diesels in the Duchy. I must admit that while I was impressed with the standard of the modelling I still came away a little disappointed. Was this because I've seen many excellent photos and comments on-line that had built up my expectation too high or was it just my bad luck that each time I when back to view the layout it just so happened that there were running problems? Must have caught them at the wrong moments which is a shame as this was one layout I was really looking forward to seeing and watching. With all that said it as a fine piece of modelling so I'll have to try and get to see it again sometime.


Diesels in the Duchy

Diesels in the Duchy

I had no preconceived ideas about Albion Yard and I was really impressed. I liked the concept of a very high layout with a part scenic hidden sidings giving an impression of more layout beyond. There was movement on the layout each time I ventured back to it with good conversations with the operator. Shame I'll not be able to see this layout again as it is being retired.

Albion Yard (looking towards the hidden sidings)

Albion Yard (hidden sidings)

Albion Yard

To name a couple of other layouts that I've seen before but really enjoyed seeing again were:


Dewsbury Midland

Dewsbury Midland

Dewsbury Midland

and


Harton Gill

Harton Gill

Harton Gill

In the small demonstration area I managed to have a good chat with David Wright who has help me a little with my negativity towards scratch building buildings. I was also able to watch over the shoulders of the many who were crowded around Gordon Gravett's demo of landscape modelling.

As this was the week before Scaleforum purchases were kept to a bare minimum, I only bought a few items for wagon loads from Langley Miniatures.

There were plenty of other good layouts on show, so overall it was an enjoyable day. Was it worth the £10.00 entrance fee for one day? Hmmm possibly only just...more importantly would I go next year... not sure... depends on what's there.

1 comment:

lnrmodels said...

looks like a really good show. I saw Gordon Gravett at York last year, before I really knew who he was. I wanted to sit and chat, but he was always busy with other would-be scratch builders and I had a 5 year old with short attention span in tow..

Really hoping to go back again next Easter, my Exhibition attending is rather limited