There is a problem though, is not that always the case? Apart from the big project of Grogley Junction and Polbrock, there have, and I suppose still are, other dreams. One being a Welsh Colliery layout based in the Taff Valley, the other (a long held desire) to build a small GWR Branch Line Terminus. Oh no, not another one I hear you all shouting, have there not been enough built! Why not build a Caledonian BLT or some other obscure project?
Let me try to explain...
- While sorting through all the boxes, items I've collected have risen to the surface for the above two projects. While I can easily give up the Welsh Colliery layout the GWR BLT is much harder. The itch of a GWR BLT has not been fully quelled by Grogley Junction.
- It all probably started from reading many magazine articles in the late 1960s early 1970s, warming to the attempts at picturesque layouts rather than the industrial scene others were using to mask baseboard edges. I've always been a country bumpkin at heart.
- Then I was fully indoctrinated into the GWR by a good friend when the Mablethorpe and District Model Railway Club was formed in the 70s. This introduced me to Bodmin and its railway environs, and hence why I've ended up with Grogley Junction.
- My early holiday memories are of time spent in Devon and Cornwall. Unfortunately, in the 1960s, we never travelled there by train but later in life I've had many visits to Paignton, Buckfastleigh and Bodmin railways along with Didcot and the Severn Valley.
- Tredethy Wharf has fulfilled a purpose, that being to get me started in P4 and now tentatively introducing me to exhibiting. While I have enjoyed the two exhibitions I've attended with Tredethy Wharf, the end result is it is a very simple layout to operate.
- Grogley Junction with Polbrock Engine Shed will, in essence, not be exhibition layouts. So if I'm to continue to have something to exhibit would it be possible for me to scratch the itch of a GWR BLT? Maybe, maybe not, but I'll still keep the project in my thoughts. Therefore I'll be storing all I've collected for this project until it becomes fully evident it will not be possible to build it.