Sunday 8 March 2009

End of the Withered Arm

At last I've tracked down a copy of this months Steam Days magazine. I was given the nob (thanks Nick) that it contained an article on the North Cornwall line and was starting to be worried that I'd missed it on the newsagents shelves. Eventually after a visit to a larger WH Smiths I found a copy. That is one of the problems living out in the sticks some magazines take long to reach us if at all.




The article mainly covers the later years of the line from Wadebridge to Oakhampton and mentions Bude, Bodmin and Padstow. It charts the decline of freight and passenger services, closure dates and demolition of structures and trackbed. One interesting fact I found for myself is that the Wadebridge to Boscarne section stayed open until 4th September 1978 for goods traffic. One commodity was slate dust that was transported from Delabole quarry to Wadebridge by lorry. Loaded into Presflo wagons for transportation toTonbridge in Kent via Bodmin Road. This has given me the fleeting thought about my Boscarne Wharf Junction layout as a freight only line in the late 60's early 70's.

Not sure if some would agree (recent excellent Deltic article in MRJ 188/189 in mind) but P4 conversion packs for diesels would seem to be an easier way to get things running. This would be while I build up confidence in steam conversion/kit building techniques. In the era that I was thinking (early 60's) the Wharf siding would have shown signs of being overgrown anyway.

Food for thought while I tackle track building techniques.

No comments: