Thursday 19 March 2009

Making contact across the pond

I've recently made contact with an old friend from the early days of Mablethorpe and District Model Railway Club. He was one of the founding members and was always interested in small scale, small layouts, narrow gauge and American outline. I thought it was a strange mix but that was me being too traditional in my modelling outlook.


He emigrated to America and I lost contact with him until recently. Thinking about the old club one evening I Googled his name and was amazed to find him here . I really like what he has been doing in Gn15 gauge. This is a gauge that I'm not familiar with but he has built some very interesting small layouts with character. Especially the Purespring Watercress and Wold Farm Mushrooms layouts. The tunnel on Wold Farm Layout is very similar to Withcall to Donnington on Bain tunnel on the Louth to Bardney line, nicely modelled in its new roll. When viewing his Journal of layout imaginings I realise that Ian is still investigating imaginative small/micro layout ideas. Though not my style, yet, these layout musings are very inventive and thought provoking.


New contacts also brings new links. Though I'm not a fan of American outline I have to post this link to Lance Mindhiems site here . Ian quite rightly states in his links page "Quite probably the most amazing HO scale shelf layout ever. Realism and atmosphere of the very highest order." Fantastic, pure magic.


No comments: